Search This Blog

Friday, August 2, 2013

the power of the interwebs

In my last post, I mentioned needing to paint our kiddo's rooms. Many of you know that paint is an expensive venture. 6 gallons of $40 cheap paint at our favorite hardware store would cost us about $250 with tax. 

One of my friends from high school, Laura, has family in the paint business. Through her connections, she was able to get me a discount on some much better, higher quality paint for less. I mean... WAY less. The paint you ask, is the good stuff... Not sure if I can give away the connection or not, but let's just say the store's name rhymes with Merwin Billiams.

If anyone knows me, they know I am a TERRIBLE at decorating. Bad at choosing colors, bad and organizing, bad at arranging things. I know this about myself, so enlisted the help of Amy. If we had best friends, we would be each others. We moved to the same town within 3 weeks of each other. 5 months later, she looked at me and said, "I don't have any friends, can we be friends". To which I replied, "I don't have any friends either... let's be friends". 5 years later, she is designing my house. 


It's a throwback picture, but aren't we adorable... 

Here's a picture without facial hair..




She picked out some fantastic colors after I told her vaguely what I wanted.

Laura's connection called in what I/Amy wanted and I happily drove over to get my liquid gold... Actually it is called "Windsor Greige" and "Rain", but those are details.



Not our room, but this kids' room is painted the "Windsor Greige" color. I love the warm neutral that is also gender neutral. Our little boy and girl will share a room and I love this color! Their room has lots of natural light, so it is a good fit.

The guy at the store, rang up my order... 6 gallons of eggshell paint tinted to beauty, 6 professional grade roller naps, and 1 trim bucket for a grand total of $90! Then, Mr. Merwin Billiams said "Wow, that is a really great price!"

Because my sweet friend wanted to help our kiddos have calming walls, we saved $160! 

We loaded the paint and naps in my car and I came home overly excited to begin getting some color on the walls....

Opened my car and......... wait for it.................. only 5 gallons in the back. Not the 6 I bought.

I got back in the car and headed to see Mr. Merwin Billiams again. 25 minutes later, I found the long lost bucket of "Rain" tinted paint sitting alone on the counter. I had just walked out and left it there. After we were reunited, I trucked home again. 


This is a random bedroom photo I found on the interwebs... they have "Rain" colored walls. I love how calm this room feels. I want my boys' room to feel this peaceful.

The time it took to go get the forgotten gallon meant I didn't get any on the walls, but the gallons are in their respective rooms. I'm hoping to get some on the wall this morning. (Special thanks to my other friend Laura, church friend/running buddy for getting a room clean enough to paint!)

If you want to send Laura some extra love, here is your chance.... She makes adorable home accessories. Virtuous Designs by Laura, and she blogs!

Aren't they beautiful!

I'm constantly amazed at how God is providing even the little things for us... Thank you Lord for friends and paint.

P.S. No update on the adoption... still waiting for Visa approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment