Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2013

1st Homestudy

EEK!!! Our first homestudy visit is MONDAY! You read that right.... in 3 DAYS! I thought we would have more time to prepare than just 3 days. When we had our orientation interview on Wednesday of this week and they said we would begin ths process within the month. I am grateful that we are able to move this process along fairly quick. (Here's to hoping the trend continues...)
I'm especially freaked out because we are leaving tonight for DNOW with our youth group. This is an in town retreat for all our youth and Future Dad and I are chaperoning. 
We are excited about it, but that means I will have Sunday afternoon and Monday morning to get my entire house in order. YIKES! 
I'm going to spend all my free time today making lists of things that need to be done. 


This is what I think my house feels like.... cluttered, unkept, messy.


This is what I want my house to feel like.... clean, welcoming, warm.

Ok people, how do you know a person's house is clean? What do you look for? Should I wipe down baseboards? Do I need to clean the ceiling fans? Any advice will help. I'm really bad at prioritizing. I tend to start cleaning the kitchen and end up organizing my kitchen utensils. Or I start to clean off a shelf and end up looking through magazines that were cluttering up said shelf.

Start filling my comment boxes with your cleaning advice... I only have 3 days for Pete's sake.


P.S. What do I wear?

6 comments:

  1. I work in an adoption program and participate in doing home studies. I can assure you that they won't be focused on how *clean* it is. :) They will look at things like square footage, windows, outlet covers, and smoke alarms on all the floors; no exposed heating elements or water hazards; no firearms laying around; etc. etc. They'll probably ask you guys a lot of questions about your backgrounds, how you were raised, how you met, etc. (unless you've done that paperwork/homework already). But don't worry if it's not perfect - their focus is safety, not cleanliness! :) Hope it all goes smoothly! :)
    -Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had a home study done by Maegan herself, I can tell you to relax -- she will be pleasant and laidback. While you don't want it to look like a pig sty, she won't be that concerned about how clean the house is (you're preparing for children, after all -- too clean of a house might make her think that you won't be prepared for all of the many messes that children make!). She will look in each room, and by look I basically mean "set foot in." She won't open all of your cabinets and drawers and closets, so don't worry about it. She will mostly be looking at the layout and safety features of the house. I would prioritize clearing clutter out of the way -- even if that means just shoving it in a closet or something -- and cleaning up basic stuff (tables, floors, etc.) that are visibly dirty. I definitely wouldn't worry about the baseboards and the ceiling fans. She won't look at them. She will want you to explain to her your plans for setting up for children, but this is only your first visit with her, so don't worry about it if things aren't "child ready" yet. She will let you know if there is anything else she wants you to do to the house before the home study is completed (i.e., safety locks, outlet covers, etc.) As far as what to wear, it really doesn't matter much. I personally like to go with a "dressy casual" type of thing, but just be yourself. One of her main objectives during the home study is to get to know you, so don't pretend to be someone you're not.

    ~Gina

    P.S. -- Say hi to Maegan for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no experience with this, but every time I'm over at your place, I don't feel like it's messy. I feel welcome and comfortable! You've got this. Wear an outfit you've had since 8th grade because those are the ones I always seem to comment on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally not the same thing, but when photographers do sales sessions in their own homes, I've heard it's smart to bake cookies for the wonderful smell - so warm and welcoming! (Plus, who doesn't love cookies?)

    I know the home study will go smoothly - good luck, can't wait for another update!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I clean baseboards when I get ready to move. : ) If will be fine, you and future dad will ace this test!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to everyone who posted here. This was not our home study experience but confirms everything I have heard - it should have been. I wish you both the best of luck in your adoption. I am just seeing your page and know that you were already approved, or I would not write this. I wish you many blessings on your journey. Your children will be very blessed.

    ReplyDelete